It is very easy to add your photo to your blog posts and comments on other people’s blogs… in fact it’s fully automated and you don’t really have to do anything after you set it up.
Gravatar via WordPress (works for most blogs)
- Go to wordpress.com and get a free account. Use the email address you use when you blog and post comments because it will be used as your unique identifier.
- Once you’re logged in click: My Account and select Edit Profile. (My Account link is in top left corner.)
- One the right side of the page is a place to add your Gravitar. Gravatar stands for Globally Recognized Avatar, which means it can be used all over the web. You can also just go to Gravatar.com instead of WordPress.
- Save that and move onto Blogger.
Photo via Blogger (optional)
- Go get a free account at blogger.com. Blogger is owned by Google so if you already have a Google account activating a blogger account is virtually automatic.
- Once you’re logged in click Edit Photo or Edit Profile. Both links take you to the same page.
- Upload your photo and you’re done.
Photo via Google Account (optional)
- If you have a Google account click My Account.
- Add you’re photo, and you’re done.
Spending five minutes and completing these three simple steps will put your photo posts and comments all over the place. Gravater works on most blogging platforms and many blogs are already setup to display gravatars. If your blog (or theme) doesn’t show gravatars and you want to add them visit this help page on Gravatar.com.
I added the Blogger and Google account instructions as optional steps. I suspect in the future these will either be combined and/or used more commonly by Google. Today Gravatar is the most common provider of avatar images on blogs so it’s really the first place you should put your photo.